If you’re wondering why I jumped straight to a MyEclipse 7 post without any “non-work” posts in between, then you’re staring the reason in the face… MyEclipse 7.0. Since MyEclipse 6.6, we’ve presented at Eclipse World (more about that later) and worked on nothing but MyEclipse 7.0. Besides new features, this release includes much awaited updates and fixes across the board. MyEclipse 7.0 and MyEclipse 7.0 Blue Edition were released on the 9th, so without wasting more time, let’s dive right into the juicy details…
7.0 is our first production release for Ganymede (Eclipse 3.4), preceded by two milestone releases in the 7 series. It is also the first MyEclipse release delivered on top of the Pulse Eclipse Management Platform and includes a Pulse based plugin dashboard. As an end user, this enables you to:
- Install optional and early access MyEclipse plugins.
- Update MyEclipse easily.
- Easily add and manage 3rd party plugins to your MyEclipse installation.
- Move to another machine but continue to use an identically configured MyEclipse installation (including 3rd party plugins) with ease.
- Share workspaces and workspace settings with co-workers.
The ability to share workspaces is only available to Pulse Freelance subscribers, all other features are absolutely free.
MyEclipse 7.0 adds JAX-RS to it’s list of supported web service frameworks. This means you can now develop, deploy and test RESTful web services in MyEclipse. We use Jersey, the JAX-RS reference implementation. I’ll try to provide more details in a later post.
An early access version of our UML2 features can be installed via the dashboard. This includes a massively detailed UML2 graphical editor. So if you feel like cranking out a Composite Structure diagram (I don’t 😉 ), you know where to look.
- Spring Tools built on SpringIDE 2.2.0, with Spring Web Flow 2 support
- MyEclipse Reports now built on BIRT 2.3.1
- OpenJPA 1.2 support
- JSF EL content assist enhancements and support for Apache Trinidad tags
- ICEfaces 1.7.2 SP1
For more details (with pictures!), please see the New and Noteworthy documents for MyEclipse and MyEclipse Blue Edition. Enjoy!